Financial aid for congress tourism aims to encourage the organisation of congresses or similar events (seminars, conferences, etc.) in order to:
- contribute to the promotion of Luxembourg as a prime destination for congresses;
- increase local economic benefits.
The subsidies are granted by the General Directorate for Tourism at the Ministry of the Economy.
Carry out your procedure:
By downloading a form
- Application for financial aid - organisation of a congress
The following can benefit from the aid scheme:
- private associations;
- public establishments;
- international organisations or institutions.
The following events are entitled to financial aid:
- or any similar event in a business context.
In order to benefit from financial aid, the events have to fulfill all the following conditions:
- there must be at least 100 participants;
- there must be at least 100 overnight stays booked in Luxembourg hotels;
- the event must have an international dimension: at least half of the participants and an important part of the speakers have to come from abroad.
Place and accommodation
The event must take place in Luxembourg and participants from abroad must be accommodated in Luxembourg.
Events where the subject is likely to have a negative impact on Luxembourg's image are not eligible.
Each application for financial aid for congress tourism has to be submitted at the latest 4 months prior to the event.
Where the application is approved by the Ministry of the Economy, the organisers are invited to submit the following within 3 months after the event at the latest:
- an activity report;
- a financial report;
- and a statement of overnight stays in hotels within the framework of the event.
The final amount of financial aid granted is calculated and paid according to the documents submitted.
Submitting the application
Applicants have to submit a duly completed application for financial aid for congress tourism (demande de subvention pour tourisme de congrès) to the General Directorate for Tourism at the Ministry of the Economy.
Applications must be accompanied by:
- a presentation of the project with the following information:
- the organiser of the event;
- the event profile: concept, target audience, objectives, provisional programme, speakers, number of participants;
- descriptions and estimates:
- economic benefits for the event destination;
- impact on the sector concerned (know-how, networking, etc.);
- media coverage and/or impact on the image of Luxembourg;
- the project's financing plan, i.e.:
- a detailed provisional budget concerning income and expenses;
- planned or granted co-financing measures.
Amount of financial aid
Flat-rate aid for overnight stays in Luxembourg hotels
A flat-rate aid of EUR 15 per overnight stay in a Luxembourg hotel will be granted to events that take place:
- between 1 March and 14 July;
- between 16 September and 31 December.
The amount of aid is limited to EUR 18,000.
In order to encourage congress tourism during off-peak periods in the year, a flat-rate aid of EUR 25 per overnight stay in a Luxembourg hotel will be granted to events which take place:
- between 15 July and 15 September;
- between 1 January and 28 February.
The amount of aid is limited to EUR 23,000.
Congresses that exceed 3,000 overnight stays in Luxembourg hotels may benefit from an additional flat-rate aid of EUR 10,000.
Aid for tourism framework programmes
Within the framework of tourism programmes, the following costs will be reimbursed up to a limit of 33 % at the most:
- costs for hiring certified tour guides;
- transport expenses (e.g. bus rental).
From 1 January to 29 February
From 1 March to 14 July
Flat-rate aid per overnight stay in Luxembourg hotels
EUR 25/overnight stay
amount limited to EUR 23,000
EUR 15/overnight stay
amount limited to EUR 18,000
Additional aid as from 3,000 overnight stays
Aid for tourism framework programmes
33 % of real expenses for tour guides and transportation
amount limited to EUR 2,000