Registration of higher education diplomas in the higher education section of the register of certificates is the normal procedure for the academic recognition of final higher education diplomas.
The formal recognition of a higher education diploma obtained abroad happens:
- either through the registration of a higher education diploma in the register of certificates;
- or through an approval in order to participate in complementary courses on Luxembourg law.
National diplomas are registered automatically.
Associate degrees, (brevet d'enseignement supérieur, diploma van gegradueerde, graad van gegradueerde, getuigschrift associate degree), Bachelor's, Master's or Doctor's degrees (diplomas awarded following the defense of a thesis) obtained in Belgium or the Netherlands and awarded for higher education courses recognized in Belgium or in the Netherlands are automatically registered in Luxembourg, without any prior formality.
The eTracking feature of paper forms is available in this procedure. This feature enables users to stay informed about the advancement of their applications by email and/or by SMS.
Carry out your procedure:
By downloading a form
- Application for registration of a higher education diploma in the register of higher diplomas
The registration of a higher education diploma acquired abroad in the register of certificates is required:
- to carry an academic title;
- to access certain professions.
A higher education diploma acquired abroad is registered in the higher education section of the register of certificates:
- if it has been granted according to the laws and regulations applicable for higher education in the State where the diploma was issued;
- if it provides proof of successful completion of a higher education study cycle.
Following diplomas cannot be registered in the register of certificates:
- intermediate degrees (2 year academic programmes, i.e. Zwischenprüfung, Vordiplom, 1re + 2e candidature, DEUG, DUT, DEUST, etc.);
- diplomas that are not recognized by the authorities of the State where they were issued.
Applicants must pay a fee to cover the processing costs of the applications for registration in the higher education section of the register of certificates.
The fee must be paid by transfer on the following bank account:
IBAN LU13 1111 0011 4679 0000
BIC code: CCPLLULL
Name of the beneficiary: Administration de l’Enregistrement et des Domaines
Communication: Taxe reconnaissance des diplômes, MESR, Surname of the applicant, Date of the application
The fee for the registration in the register of certificates is EUR 75 per diploma.
A duplicate copy (in the event of loss) costs EUR 10.
Submitting the application
Applicants must send their application to the Ministry of Higher Education and Research (ministère de l’Enseignement supérieur et de la Recherche - MESR) with the following supporting documents:
- a copy of the final diploma to be registered in the higher education section of the register of certificates (a simple copy suffices, unless the diploma was issued by an establishment located outside of the EU: in that case they have to add a certified true copy of the original);
Note that Members State of the European Economic Area and the Helvetic confederation are assimilated to Member States of the European Union.
- a copy of the ID card;
- a proof of payment of the fee.
The documents must be written either in one of the 3 official languages of the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg (French, Luxembourgish or German), or in English, or translated in one of these languages by a sworn translator.
Ministerial order of registration
Once the diploma has been registered, the Ministry of Higher Education and Research forwards a ministerial order to the applicant with regard to the registration of the diploma in the register of certificates.
A copy of the ministerial order can be obtained against payment of a EUR 10 fee.