Registration of higher education diplomas in the higher education section of the register of certificates is the normal procedure for the academic recognition of final higher education diplomas.
A higher education diploma obtained abroad is formally recognised:
- either through registration in the register of certificates;
- or through approval to participate in courses that are complementary under Luxembourg law.
National diplomas are registered automatically.
Associate degrees, (brevet d'enseignement supérieur, diploma van gegradueerde, graad van gegradueerde, getuigschrift associate degree), Bachelor's, Master's or Doctor's degrees (diplomas awarded following the defense of a thesis) obtained in Belgium or in the Netherlands and awarded for higher education courses recognized in Belgium or in the Netherlands are automatically registered in Luxembourg, without any prior formality.
The eTracking function for paper forms is available for this procedure. This feature enables users to stay abreast of the progress of their applications by e-mail and/or SMS notifications.
Carry out your procedure:
By downloading a form
- Application for registration of evidence of formal qualifications in the register of formal higher education qualifications
The registration of a higher education diploma acquired abroad in the register of certificates is required:
- to carry an academic title;
- to access certain professions.
a higher education diploma is recorded in the register of certificates:
- if it was obtained in accordance with the law and regulations in the country where it was awarded;
- if it is a final higher education diploma.
Diplomas that are not recognised by the State authorities in the country where they were issued may not be recorded in the register of certificates.
Applicants must pay a fee to cover the processing costs of the applications for registration in the higher education section of the register of certificates.
The fee must be paid by bank transfer to the Postal Checking Account:
IBAN LU13 1111 0011 4679 0000
BIC code: CCPLLULL
Beneficiary name: Administration de l’Enregistrement et des Domaines
Reference: Taxe reconnaissance des diplômes, MESR, Surname of the applicant, Date of the application
The fee for registration in the higher education section of the register of certificates is EUR 75 per diploma.
A duplicate copy (in the event of loss of the original) costs EUR 10.
Submitting the application
Applicants must send their application to the Ministry of Higher Education and Research (ministère de l’Enseignement supérieur et de la Recherche – MESR) with the following supporting documents:
- a copy of the final diploma to be registered in the higher education section of the register of certificates (a simple copy will suffice, unless the diploma was issued by an establishment outside of the EU: in that case, a certified true copy of the original must be submitted);
Note that Member States of the European Economic Area and the Swiss Confederation are deemed equivalent to EU Member States for these purposes.
- a diploma supplement, or if not available, a copy of the transcript;
- professional and academic CV;
- a copy of the ID card;
- proof of payment of the fee.
The documents must be written either in one of the 3 official languages of the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg (French, Luxembourgish or German), or in English, or translated into one of these languages by a sworn translator.
A copy of the residence permit must be attached for nationals of non-Member States:
- of the European Union;
- of the European Economic Area;
- of the Swiss Confederation.
Ministerial order of registration
Once the diploma has been registered, the MESR sends the applicant a ministerial order of registration of the diploma in the register of certificates.
A copy of the ministerial order may be obtained upon payment of a EUR 10 fee.
L-2327 - Luxembourg
Postal box B.P L-2915
Reception: Mon.-Fri. from 8.00 to 17.00