The entry and stay visa is an official document issued by the host country to prove the holder obtained proper authorisation to enter the country. Obtaining the visa also certifies payment for the right. The visa is issued as a stamp or vignette on the currently valid travel document.
Any Luxembourg national, regardless of their age, may apply for a visa, if they:
- hold a valid passport;
- wish to stay in a foreign country outside the EU for which a visa is required.
Prior to departure, the Luxembourg traveller must:
- obtain information on travel documents (passport visa, etc.) needed to enter the territory;
- obtain information on any public health obligations (vaccines, medical certificates, etc.);
- if possible, obtain a permit to exit the territory, duly legalised by the communal administration or the police commissary in the place of residence, for minors travelling without their parents;
- ensure adequate validity of each travel document for the duration of the planned stay.
Luxembourg citizens, regardless of their age, must possess a passport that is valid for six months beyond the start date of the trip for any movement outside the European Union. In addition, some countries only grant an entry visa to persons presenting a travel document with a minimum validity of six months to the expiry of the requested visa. Verification from the embassies of the destination countries is required.
In cases where an entry visa is required, the procedures for a visa application must be carried out:
- with the approved foreign diplomatic offices in Luxembourg;
- when there are none, from the consular services of the approved foreign diplomatic offices in Luxembourg.
It is therefore important to specify the length of the planned voyage and the conditions with the travel agency for example.The cost, delivery time and the of validity of the visa vary depending on the laws of the host country.